Thread: Arrow Weight
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 02:16 PM

It's probably best to wait until I'm back up to shooting 70lbs regularly, but I've been thinking about switching arrows.

I currently shoot a Gold Tip Velocity, 300 spine, 26" carbon-to-carbon, with a 100 grain brass insert, for a total weight around 455 grains. I felt this tuned well out of my APA but my current Bowtech drops 10fps out of the gate in "performance setting", lose another 8-10fps in "comfort" and that's before dropping draw weight another 8lbs, which is roughly where I am now.

I've been hitting a lot of 8 rings or worse lately at 20 yards, which I primarily attribute to "ring rust", but I can't help but wonder if my arrows are too stiff considering how much velocity I've presumably lost from switching bows.

Jim Bows has also stopped selling Velocity shafts, so I figure now (well, almost now) is an almost perfect time to switch. I'm strongly considering the Victory RIP TKOs, maybe bumping down to a 350 spine with a 50-75 grain insert. I figure it'll also be easier to add weight with collars and/or 125 grain heads if I miss having 200+ grain point weight, than just being "stuck" with 100 grain inserts.

I've also noticed this bow clocks arrows left, so I may try to refletch with a left helical to see how much that helps downrange.