Thread: 243 Ballistics
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I’ve been researching ballistics for the 243 and I’m quite impressed with the results from several 85-90 gr bullets with BC between .375 and .410.
I think the sweet spot for speed, energy and trajectory lies between 85 and 95. Some of the super high BC 110gr+ bullets are very good at long ranges but I’m not shooting long range game, so I omitted these from consideration.

So my question is, is it practical to achieve 3100fps from a 85gr bullet in the 243?
I’ve seen several references that show 3100fps at near max loads, but I’m looking for real world opinions. How fast are you safely driving your 85gr 243???

Thanks.
I would create a bunch of different loads that increase in powder quantity. Push it until you start seeing pressure. When you start seeing pressure, you will know how fast you can safely drive an 85 grain bullet in your firearm, at that elevation, with that air temperature & that pressure.

My 243 loves 55 grain bullets. Sends them 3750 fps. If I increase the load by 1 grain of powder I start blowing out primers. Its strange because my reloading manual says I am 3 grains off max.

Every gun is different.

Hope this helped.