View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM

If you decide to do it, first, think about what the guys were saying about mechanical aptitude. I've been doing this for 11 years now, and it is critical. You may not need to be a mechanic, but you need to clearly understand how machines and proccess work. You need to be able to problem solve very quickly. Not, "I think it's this," and then try to prove yourself right. Collect data, know the proccess and make corrective decisions quickly. If boredom is a fear, get into a new project. There is a reason that most operators I know don't stick around a plant for more than ten years. They get bored. I have been stuck in the control room for 3 years, and I want out. Having said that, I am rarely bored. I am at a plant which has new technology in the oilsands and it is anything but boring. Sometimes it's too much. I crave a smooth darn plant! And don't think you can go from NAIT to 2 years in the field and be in the control room. It usually doesn't work that way. The biggest thing with this job is don't stop studying. There is always more to learn.

#1 advice I got from my teacher. Show up! Don't blow shifts. Your mate is counting on you. Show up 15 minutes early every single day. Never miss days. Too many young guys I work with have a tough time getting less than 10 sick days a year. Show up. I swear that's more than half the battle right there.