View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM

Some really good information here. The more I look into gear ratios the more it seems to be a bit of a sham. Gear ratios themselves are really not that meaningful. Some reels that have a 6.4:1 ratio take in more than 30" of line per handle turn and others at ratios above 7:1 take in less than 30". I am starting to think it is better to choose a reel that can take in line at a high rate (27" - 32") because it gives you flexibility to vary your retrieve. It is true that at higher rates of retrieve you will produce less torque but when are you really going to need sustained high torque? Not fighting a big fish because you use the rod and drag system. Not bottom bouncing or trolling because you tend to get to the depth you want and leave it there. If you are throwing big baits for pike (plugs or spinners in shallow water, it would be an advantage to be able to run them rapidly. If you are using jerk baits, you only use the reel to take up slack. If you want to work a big heavy bait slowly and repeatedly, I can then see an advantage to increased torque, but I can't think of an application for this when fishing walleye or pike. Maybe there are salt water applications.

The annoying thing is that there are many articles out there saying that you need specific gear ratios for specific applications (cranking, pitching, spinnerbaits). It seems like the aim is to encourage the consumers to buy several reels. Buy reading customer reviews, customer Q&As and forums the consensus appears to be that high speed is the way to go. Interestingly, pro anglers all seem to be using the high speed reels and they often throw cranks or spinners all day long.

Looks like I am going to go with a high speed reel. That sure seems like a lot of smoke to get through to get to some real facts.