View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here's a footnote for guys that complain there is no deer left....

The Mcleod Game Protective Association was formed in 1889 soon after the train came through what later became southern Alberta. The Gazette reported well attended meetings. One of the founders of the MGPA, Dr. George DeVeber, published this in the Macleod Gazette...

"The buffalo and elk are extinct: the antelope, mountain sheep and goat, black and whitetail deer are fast approaching the same state and are only to be found semi-occasionally in some remote and favored locality."

From what I can interpret from what I found ....from 1906 to 1913 the hunting season for pronghorn antelope was opened for one day only. Oct. 1. Elk was a one day season too. Nov. 15. There was no open season on buffalo, or the females of elk, moose, deer, antelope, sheep or the young of all big game during those years to help rebuild populations.

I remember the first Deer I saw. It was around 1964, middle of the summer and it was a Doe.

I had seem Deer tracks, Dad told me that what they were. But even tracks were a rare treat. And there weren't a lot of Wolves around either.
But there were Moose. Way more then there is now.

It was not unusual to see several Moose at one time. And dad shot more then one from our front step over the years.
We got to skip school when that happened. All hands on deck for butchering! Good times!

George Bernard Shaw