View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordevr View Post
I always hear about bullets vaporizing but even with hornady 32gr at over 4000 fps I have never experienced it yet. They always go in 2-3 inches and explode. I recently switched to 40 gr noslers because of accuracy and I hope they kill like the 32 vmax do.
A friend of mine swears by the cheap Winchester white box ammo in his 223 as well as the 22-250. Haven't tried the 223 but I tested it in the 22-250. 2 out of 10 of them 'vaporized' - shrapnel hit the paper and not a bullet. I was running it over a chrony as well and there was a fps spread from 3800 to 4150. He hits a lot of coyotes with it but misses a lot too. But the ones he hits the bullet stays inside and seldom any fur damage - at least according to him. Not so the 204 32 gr Hornady you mention - at least not for me.

That's my fav round for accuracy for sure. And Ive shot many yotes with that exact round and, sadly, Ive found most of them go right on through and blow a big hole on the other side. I hates that. Sure, puts em down fast but ruins the fur and that's the main reason I shoot them. Least likely to do that is at 250 yards and up.

I wish there was a non-varmint bullet available in 204 but haven't found one yet. A hunting type round that expands but doesn't grenade like the varmints do. One that goes right through and leaves no more than a toonie size hole on the other side instead of baseball or football size.

Last edited by aardvaark; 10-04-2017 at 10:44 AM.