View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
I personally would like to see the priority only or as us old guys know it as '999' have at the very least a $25 surcharge added to it. i feel this would make folks apply for the draws instead of just building needless priority points. i would also like to see draws that are upwards of 5 yrs or more applying have a portion of the tags made available as random draws. for example, 10 tags available for a draw period and have 2 of those tags made available at random for all that applied. that may make folks apply for the draws, instead of just hanging around and for less than a dollar, build priority to just clog up the system. maybe these tags needs to be purchased at time of drawing as well. just ideas, not trying to start a riot.
i would also like to all users of public lands need to have at the very minimum a WIN card and i personally think that they need to buy a wildlife certificate. that would be all random camping folks, OHV users, and recreational hikers.. more could be added to that list as well.

I like the idea of a few random lottery tags. Gives everyone a glimmer of hope.

As far as priority only or “999” applicants, you and many others obviously just don’t get how others using it benefits you. By not applying for the actual tag and going priority only, many hunters draw their tags years after what it would’ve taken if they just applied for the WMU every year. This allows other hunters to jump ahead of them and draw more frequently. Eliminate the priority only applications and wait times will increase since everyone will be pulling when it’s their turn as opposed to letting others pass them. Will probably also result in more wasted tags where guys put in their draws and end up with 2-3 special license tags for different animals throughout the province and only have time or money to do one of them seriously. And if people 999 forever what’s the difference? It doesn’t clog up the draw system. It has no effect.

There’s improvements that can be made. I think purchasing the wildlife certificate prior to draws is a good start. Although I think it’ll just generate more revenue when grandma has to purchase a WC for a cow moose application even though she only plans to partner for that specific tag every 4 years and not buy a license in the other years. Probably won’t do much for wait times.