View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Wow, this thread appears to be headed for some kind of postings record by the looks of it!

So we all know draw wait times are getting longer but the number of hunters has significantly declined in the past 40 years. This is only possible becuz draw participation has increased at a much higher rate than that the drop in hunter numbers. It becomes pretty obvious the solution is to discourage draw participation.

I know dropping the 999 option has been discussed already and this certainly is one option that would lower overall draw participation. I am in favor of axing the 999.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet,,, but how about basing priority by zone rather than by license? For example you apply twice unsuccessfully for mule buck in 100, you would have a P2 for 100. If you decide to apply for a different zone you enter that draw as a P0.

This would also level the playing field when a new zone is put into the draw such as we see with the new elk seasons popping up through the 100s and 200s.

Eliminating the 999 and basing priority by zone would force applicants to make "serious choices" in their draws rather than manipulating future draw options to their benefit through priority building.

And for the record, I am as guilty as anyone for priority building having used the 999 option many times,,, and prior to the 999 option, applying in zones with little chance of success just to build priority.
IMO, the benefits of 999 far out way any negatives, and I suspect I would never be comfortable with losing that option.

As for building priority by zone rather than licence, and then losing all priority if you change zones....................sigh. There are too many things that can change in life, beyond a persons control that could force them to a zone other than the one they originally intended. Losing priority because you were forced to move for example, is not reasonable grounds to lose all of your priority.