View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I think we've got enough rules and restrictions- so I guess I'm an anarchist for not wanting even more.

From the Kananaskis Lakes, 3 different fishing licences are needed to fish with a 20 km radius (Alberta, B.C. & National Parks) for which you need to be familiar with 3 very different sets of regulations.

For an easily accessible lake, near recreational facilities like campgrounds - like the Kananaskis Lakes - many families are simply looking for their kid to catch a fish from shore that they can take back and cook up over the campfire. They're not trying to fill a freezer and they're not worried about how many people it will feed - it's all about the family experience. I'm for having as few barriers to them getting that experience as possible.

We've already limited a kids ability to land a fish by going barbless (except in the National Parks or in B.C. lakes - but not rivers). Thankfully they can use lead jigs/sinkers here (as K Country is outside of the national parks). And now we'll expect them to remember size limits and carry a tape?

No wonder they choose to stay at home (or remain in the RV at the campground) and play video games.
So...are you agreeing to a quality fishery? All you problems are basically fixed with a quality fishery. That means there is more chance for the kids to actually see a fish before they get fished out. A fly and bobber catches a ton of fish at Bullshead. The barbless does make it harder but my kids have started to pick it up. If they are hooking up as is more likely at a quality fishery...then it is just fun practice to finally learn to land one.

Size limits are common place around the world. It is a very necessary rule in many fisheries management practices. There are already size limits for trout in rivers, pike in some lakes, walleye, grayling...it is common place. This should not impact anyone's ability to follow a simple common regulation.

I agree with your point that many families just want to catch something...anything...and potentially take it home to eat. However...under the current stock and annihilate stocking and fishing practices...their is little time for little Johnny or Susie to see a fish before they are depleted.

As for bait versus no bait...as an earlier post mentioned...the catch rates have increased significantly. Therefore...that is also not an issue.

As for Banff, BC and Alberta borders...jurisdictional boundaries are a fact of life and I have never heard that being a concern in any fashion.

Let's hope for a quality fishery...to fix your respected concerns.

Sun