View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Sun wrote...

Answer...because from a management perspective it makes more sense in some places than all places.

So, in an area with an abundance of trout fishing in streams and lakes, Why does it make sense to make a quality fishery in K lakes? The rivers have huge fish too. Theres probably more trout anglers on the rivers than will be on that lake (and hiding from the watchfull eye of any enforcement). Now, I can understand a quality fishery on the prairies miles from quality trout, but why in the heartland of trout fishing? Keep the lakes for the kids to catch some dinks, the rivers are managed very well for the monsters they hold. On the prairies, good, in the mountains, bad.

The less they have to stock these lakes, the more eyes they have from anglers watching poachers, the more non-government agencies get involved the less the gov has to put money too. And, we see a lower budget. Pretty clear to me. its been getting lower in the last 15 years too. The less the gov has to do, the less they have to pay. Damn clear to me.

sun also wrote....

The Bow River for instance is a fishery that does not get stocked. Does fine. The Crowsnest is not stocked. The Oldman is not stocked. All these fisheries are going well without stocking. A put and take lake with no natural spawning...requires stocking.

They were all stocked at one time. With invasive species at the top of the list of invasives. They wanted a quality fishery back then too i guess.

You are using river ecosystems as an example to compare to lakes with no waterflow or a closed system. Your a BIO, you should know better. You cant compare the 2, at all, no way. That position doesnt stand, at all, no way. You just mentioned rivers, any lakes you care to share with the same successes as your river examples?

STEELHEAD

Simple answer...surprised you missed it...the Bow, Crow and Oldman are a long ways away...have great fishing but only because of stricter regulations that limit harvest. I am glad you helped make my point. Better regulations here will dramatically improve this lake in a region where there are very few lakes that can qualify for a quality fishery whereas still leaving tons of other lakes for put and take, quick harvest.

In this area alone...if someone wanted lots of small easy to catch great tasting fish in an awesome scenic location...you can go no further that Elbow Lake. Those brookies are awesome tasting...and while small are extremely plentiful since they reproduce like crazy. Therefore...this is also an example of a fishery that while small...is self sustaining and not in need of stocking :-)

You say the issue is clear on less money for enforcement because of "new regulations" but seriously...please just provide some justification insofar as the proof your theory is correct. Otherwise...again...just a nice theory to talk about...but fishing in Alberta has not suffered any noticeable loss after Bullshead became such a famous fishery.

Now your argument about invasive stocking is off topic and quite frankly proves nothing as both Bow and LKL and UKL have been stocked with Rainbows...but by your argument against invasives...at least the new stocking program for UKL and LKL looks to more native cutthroats and protecting native bull trout. I am happy you agree to this positive.

As for stocking of lakes with cutthroats and why we don't have many quality lakes...thanks for the segway...we don't have tons of lakes down south and very few lakes with large populations of cutts that can grow big with all the beneficial attributes meeting the quality fishery requirements. Most lakes down south are designated for the put and take fishery. The best thing about UKL and LKL is these lakes hold the potential for a great fishery that benefits everyone.

You make an obvious point however that lakes and rivers are different in management style, fishing technique and locations. Many people prefer fishing lakes over rivers. You need specialized boats or plans to put in and take out. Lake fishing in many ways is simpler for equipment. People that like fishing lakes should have the same opportunity to catch quality fish that regulations have endowed us with on some rivers. We can't continue to ignore lakes.

Thanks for the chat and I look forward to you providing some quality information about this proposed quality fishery.