View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post
Yup heavy coal use is about the same as a gasoline vehicle, but coal % has peaked in China and now they are deploying more renewables than anyone else in the world.

The world's electricity mix is getting cleaner, and its already cleaner in most countries to power an electric vehicle than gasoline.

EVs improving fast, sales increasing every year, grids getting cleaner. There is a revolution taking place. It might be comforting to keep repeating the same old talking points from 2010 about EVs not being viable, China getting dirtier etc etc, but the world is moving on. All the data points point one way. It will be a brave politician in Alberta who will want to have the conversation about whats coming.
Of course coal % has peaked in China. That's not my point. It is going to take a very long time to convert to other sources. And it's no surprise that China would be deploying the most renewables in the world. They have the world's largest population. It's called economics.

A large reason that parts of the world are getting a cleaner electricity mix - particularly in North America - is because the natural gas price has fallen thru the floor. I doesn't make sense to burn coal when converting to natural gas is cheaper. Again, economics.

So where are all the EV's? There are none on my street or even in my neighborhood. When can I go buy an electric pickup that will do all the things my current gas model does. Oh, wait, I can't because there aren't any.
How data points are generated from things that don't exist yet is beyond me.
If it makes people feel all warm and fuzzy predicting a future of rainbows and unicorns - so be it. However, I have been around long enough to see that is not the way real life usually turns out.