View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by encalibur View Post
@Tactical Lever: At the risk of sound like a "hippie" again, i still don't see how opening the restriction would help the rape, robbery, etc victims. It would just make it easier for lesser lowlifes to get a gun, or prompt them them to shoot first before jumping somebody with a hand in their jacket or purse.

@hillbillyreefer: i guess the intended use or purpose of a firearm is debatable since you can point the barrel at anything, but a firearm that is easily concealable and is the firearm of choice for criminals is definitely not the same as the .22 or .17 i'm about to purchase (very excited at my eventual first rifle by the way )

I suppose i need to be convinced that not restricting handguns will not = more handguns in the hands of those that shouldn't have guns or more crime with handguns. Aren't there hard stats available? (honest question).

IMO the biggest hurdle is not those of us that browse the forum, it's the population of urbanites that don't see a use for guns period, visit go for day trip to a national once a year and think they appreciate wildlife and the environment.
I was not calling you a hippie, but it's totally ok if you are. Why would non-restricting guns put more in the hands of the criminals? You do realize that you still need a license to purchase and own, right? FWIW, restricted status and lack of a license did not prevent a couple people I know of, from acquiring pistols. I believe it was last year or year before that a couple of thugs shot up a restaurant with FA weapons in Edmonton, apparently unconcerned about the prohib status of their guns.

What allowing carry would do, is level the playing field; it is not the criminal that is hobbled by the restrictions on guns. If someone on the bus was a legally carrying, they could have stopped both the guy that hacked off another's head on a Greyhound, and the punk that stomped the bus driver into critical condition last year.

So by your own admission, non-restricted guns are not very often carried by crooks, even though their status supposedly makes them soooo easy to get a hold of....?