View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Good morning all.

Stellar weekend, still wish I was out there. Fantastic father’s day---nailed 80 with the boy, 6 doublr headers, just awesome day.

Boy broke a rod on a massive walleye, and I broke one on a huge jack. I typically use $60-100 rods. I primarily fish walleye, some jack, but of course have dedicated rods for each. For walleye, love the feel of the light rod, but they have had a tendency to snap. Getting ready to hopefully not drop more than $200-$250 on a good rod. My question is, is it worth it, will they fare that much better, or I am just better to get a medium –light and give up on the light rods?

Looking at this St Croix---https://www.tackledirect.com/croixps66mlf2.html

$200
Expensive rods will usually give you a large win in sensitivity but not in durability. Cheap glass rods are tougher (which is why they are used for downrigging and trolling often) but don't telegraph the sensitive bites well. Graphite rods with a higher modulus tend to be more sensitive but if you are horsing fish into the boat they may not last you.

That all said, my wife is running that same St Croix Premier in a 7' Medium 1 piece. Its a really nice rod. I probably wouldn't go lighter than a Medium if pike are a possibility.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors