View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 04:40 PM

Hey there.

Total new guy here, never hunted before in my life, just wrote the AHEIA test. I'm 41 years old, but have a bunch of kids and my own business, so not a huge amount of time.

I live in the Aspen area of Calgary so have been looking at doing some upland game bird scouting off of Hwy 66, and maybe ranging further afield in WMUs 310, 312, 404, and 406. I understand, from reading on here, that Blue Grouse are not easy to find, but I wouldn't mind looking for some, and if it turns into a day of hiking without spotting any birds, that's still a good day for me.

For now I'm only really looking at birds because I have no idea on how to field dress any large game - something I hope to figure out in subsequent years.

Anyway, I had planned on just doing all this by myself, but if anyone out there is interested, I'm always happy for company and to learn from others.

Word of caution though:

1) I'm a desk jockey so my hiking fitness likely sucks;
2) I'm a pretty quiet person so if you're looking for a constant stream of chatter in a hunting partner, I'm probably not that guy; and
3) My shotgun skills are subpar, so I was going to focus on just picking off the little buggers with a .22.