View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottus View Post
I've consistently used just a tarp for shelter in the Willmore until it's colder than -10 BUT I've got a good sleeping bag and a really good sleeping pad. The shelter is just for sleeping in, and in 20-30 nights of bow season, October rifle, even in to November we've been lucky enough with weather to not need more.

If you have a decent bag and sleeping pad (and good merino wool tops and bottoms,) I'd recommend just trying the tarp and seeing what the other guys are running for tents, and what you like and don't like before spending $350USD plus shipping. If weather goes to crap you can store gear under the tarp and steal a spot in buddy's tent, or just get tough.

Sorry I can't provide specific info on the tents but they both seem pretty quality and very similar.

Mitch
With a good sleeping system a tarp will go much lower than that. Slept out down to -30 on several occasions. Honestly, the colder it gets the more I prefer a tarp due to less condensation build up. Counting on one's tent to keep them warm is foolish IMO, even with a stove you end up spending half the night sweating and the other half cold.

As well, there is some idea that a tarp is inferior during inclement weather. Personally I'd rather spend a couple rainy days hunkered under a tarp than cooped up in a tent. And last but not least, I enjoy watching my fire burn down and the stars come out while I'm falling asleep rather than looking at the inside of a rain fly.

P1080087 by , on Flickr

PA190254 by , on Flickr

P6270019 by , on Flickr

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-17-2020 at 10:34 AM.