View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 07:56 AM

Don’t know anything about farmland bears but have taken lots in bush country

For bush find mature evergreens, water, and green feed odds are you will find bear sign. Rivers with big timber and feed are a go to for me

Covering ground by foot, ATV, or truck to find theses areas to start is great but once you find a bears you want to target or sign of a bears you want to target you don’t need to keep traveling. Bears are habitual and when they have good feed, water, and cover they hang around if not pushed too hard. The exception is the rut when the boars start to roam

Last week may till the end of the season is the rut. Just like deer find where the sows hang out and boars will appear. Sows without cubs are what you really want

Find bear crap fresh crap is greenish in the spring not black. Bigger crap is often a bigger bear but not always. If you find a front paw track measure the width of the track and an inch and convert it to feet this will give you a good judgment of tip of nose to tail length. If you are looking for mature boars 5+inch tracks is what you are looking for

Time of day is really anytime but late afternoon they are prone to be more in the open. But mid day they will be near water feeding in shady small pockets or going for a drink. Remember they are still wearing a winter coat and it’s getting hot. I have been highly successful targeting bears going for mid day drinks during hot sunny days. First thing in the morning has never been great for me but they are still around. Personally I prefer 10am - last light

There is some basics go hunting