View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
So judgemental.... For every mature bear I shoot, I drive hundreds of km and pass on 40-60 bears. Good luck achieving that on foot. Bears are the only animals I primarily hunt from the truck, simply because they're very low density.
Road hunting works and will often result in far higher numbers being spotted but you also bump a lot of bears. Some mature boars will also never be taken road hunting because they get wiser with age. Road hunting works on the shear numbers game for sure

Personally I will ditch the truck once I have keyed in on potential target bears. I also will target many small pockets that can’t be seen from the road because I have had much better success locating big boars in these locations. Even mature boars that do feed near the road I have had far greater success actually taking that bear by ditching the truck a good ways away from his know feeding area and walking up the edge of the road.

Walking is highly effective but not hiking all day trying to cover ground. Instead jumping from pocket to pocket doing short walks to locate good bears and then setting up game plans for following days is down right deadly. There is no lack of bears that are in small pockets not far from the road but out of sight

No argument if you want to see lots of bears road hunting will do it but in the end you are looking for a bear or two at the max. There is definitely advantages on foot too if you key into your spots

Setting up in ambush on there feeding locations can also be highly effective