View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arg View Post
I had this happen to my hunter partner 3 years ago and thought she was finished. Vet wanted to do the same surgery. I talked to 2 different people that I knew had it done and both said they wished they'd never gone that route so I went to the interweb. Come across a technique called Conservative Management and decided to give it a try. It wasn't much fun for either of us but it worked. It happened about this time of year and although she was walking pretty good by fall I didn't take her hunting that fall. She isn't a 100% but very close. She is back running and swimming like a had man. Takes come discipline but worth it in my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
I have a black lab X and she has gone through this on both knees. The first was operated on in okotoks and the worst part of that was all the meds which seem to have done a number on her system which we dealt with for some time. During that operation we were told so much weight will be pushed on her other leg that an injury to the other leg in the future has an increased chance. Low and behold a year later it did.

Not wanting to go thru the same issue with meds we went the natural path and just tried to immobilize and use the stomach assist to help her get around. THis method took longer for sure but looking at her now both legs seem just as strong.

SHe was 10 when the first surgery happened.
Appreciate the replies. We did talk to the vet about alternative therapies but he didn't recommend too strongly and felt surgery would be a better long term solution. I think if Duke were much older, we would probably look at that route a lot more strongly. If you have some more info on the specific methods you used I'd love to take a look at it. Trying to be open minded while getting the best long-term care for my bud.

The vet isn't doing the surgery himself, so he has no benefit one way or another, and I think he's pretty balanced. Explained our options, long term effects etc. We noticed Duke was stiff for the past few months, but really didn't realize it was his knee. Because it's been a few months he's already lost some muscle at the knee in his bad leg.

There was one other surgery type mentioned, but for a dog of Duke's size he isn't eligible. Basically they drill the bone and wrap something like a fishing line to help keep the joint together. But because of his size, it wouldn't be viable. (90lbs)