View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 06:09 PM

Default Close call at CVR

Was out at CVR on Monday and was up at the north end of lake (beautiful day) just before it heads west to the colony. Made it up to where I like to try my luck, caught a couple and moved a short distance at a time hoping to stay at a certain depth, 6 to 9 fow . Kept catching a few more. There were some other boats around but not too close. I know it can get shallow in that area and that's why I keep an eye on my sonar (BIG TIME). Just putting along (moving somewhat east and south) and noticed 6 ft. 5-4-3 and yes 2 ft. Put engine in slow reverse lifted trim, looked out the starboard and front and seen a boulder 1 ft. below the water. At least 6 ft. across. Just looking to take your leg of engine or maybe ripping a hole in your hull. Way too close. That 150 hp could have cost a bundle. Just in case some don't know be really carefull in all sections of lake. Just when you think it's ok to be in the middle at a certain point the bottom comes up to the top. There has been other posts before about the west and the east sides of this lake but I didn't think that ledge was so shallow in the middle. And no it has not been my first time to CVR. But finding that boulder in the middle of nowhere. That was a first. Oh ya, all pike no walleye biggest around 6 lb. caught by my lady friend. 14 for the 5 hrs out