View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM

Default that is my take on it

Quote:
Are you saying you can only run dogs on wild birds during hunting season in Alberta ?
I beleive Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan have legislation to prevent dog handlers from seeking birds for several months during the summer. I have also been told this became necessary in some areas because US pro trainers were coming to Canadian provinces in summer with truck loads of client dogs because it is much cooler temperatures to train their dogs in.

Although Alberta has not had to legislate "no dogs" during breeding season because many dog owners voluntarily refrain from disturbing habitat during that time I believe a CO could and would charge a dog owner for intentionally training on wild birds. We all unintentionally flush the odd hun during planting of chukars and trapped birds (I did it last week while using remote launching training dummies) but to intentionally seek out wild birds to train a young dog I believe fallls under the definition of hunting and in summer that would be during the closed season. Call your local CO and see how they interpret it for that is what really matters not what we say.