Thread: Hunting mobile
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I do have a couple preset stands. They were used and cheap. I will sit in them if the wind is right or it’a dead calm for a morning sit. My first sit with a saddle I had adjusted based on the wind, it was a raining day with a north wind. I had as large a buck as I have ever seen walk under me in my saddle. I was up 25’ and I just couldn’t get the shot angle I wanted. I thought he was going to give me a broadside at 12 yards and didn’t want to force a high angle shot. In the end I never shot and he walked away. If I had been in the pre hung stand I would have been 45 yards away. But it’s a lot to carry in.
That’s pretty much the standard experience with any mobile setup since climbers came around. You will sweat more and make more noise carrying stuff in/out. You aren’t going to get the chance to cut shooting lanes, perfect access routes, pick angles etc all the stuff we do with preset stands….you are trading that off for mobility.

BUT…the benefits of mobility are questionable. We have a very different vegetation structure than what you see in shows/articles from the US. Most places here aren’t well suited to archery hunting, that’s why we focus on field edges and major corridors, or wide open spot and stalk. It’s really hard to get a quality shot opportunity in the bush with no prep, the majority of it is just to thick.