Thread: Hunting mobile
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
That’s pretty much the standard experience with any mobile setup since climbers came around. You will sweat more and make more noise carrying stuff in/out. You aren’t going to get the chance to cut shooting lanes, perfect access routes, pick angles etc all the stuff we do with preset stands….you are trading that off for mobility.

BUT…the benefits of mobility are questionable. We have a very different vegetation structure than what you see in shows/articles from the US. Most places here aren’t well suited to archery hunting, that’s why we focus on field edges and major corridors, or wide open spot and stalk. It’s really hard to get a quality shot opportunity in the bush with no prep, the majority of it is just to thick.
Definitely excellent points!

For sure, where I usually hunt, there's such dense brush and there's just no time to clear those shooting lanes. However, I did have success with some setups where I was able to find a good tree that was on a cutline or cutblock, and I had a good idea that deer would be coming by. With my LW hang-on, I was able to set up quite quickly - and with my climber as well, as long as I didn't have too many branches to knock off on my way up.

That being said, I'm starting to get more into spot-and-stalk and still-hunting for some scenarios, mainly just getting older and running/gunning with the stands is getting a wee bit harder every year.