View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 11:24 PM

Most expensive place I ever visited, went kind of reluctantly after I swore I'd never go there. Equivalent of our 4 l milk jug, 10. US., which converts to about 13. Cdn. Basically you need a car to get around and post covid rates are criminal, as are accommodation. Son's mother in law had a house rented in Honolu, so that was taken care of. Very touristy and I'm not a beach person, but hiking Diamond Head and visiting Pearl Harbor were my go to. Pearl harbor and the associated museums are worth 2 days to see properly. Surprised to find the island is overrun with cats, feral chickens and mongoose, just about everything you see is an invasive species.

I flew to Hilo for 4 days , inter island flights are cheap and short, 148. US return to Honolulu. Much more congenial place, I had a car rented and driving was not difficult, speed limits are low and little traffic on the roads. I reserved and paid for a smaller car, when I got there all they had was a brand new Camaro with 19 miles on it, quite a change from my pick up.

Object was to see the volcanoes primarily, I went to Volcanoes National Park and hiked to the bottom of the caldera and a couple of other places, but it rained off and on all the time I was there so not as much as I planned. Did see some turtles on the beach outside Hilo though.

Would I go again ? Not to Honolulu, the Big Island maybe, if the volcano was erupting which it does quite regularly. Waikiki and the other beaches on Oahu are vastly over rated, lots of other places in the world I'd rather go to. Brother in Law was on Maui at the same time, not impressed but said now he can tell people he's been to Hawaii .

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 04-07-2023 at 11:40 PM.