View Single Post
Old 02-08-2023, 05:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Statistically, there is no guarantee you will live to collect your pension, I see it in the obituaries every day. Die before that magic date, that most governments are now trying to move up and your CPP contributions go to support those who outlived you, you get Nada.

Grizz
My dad worked his entire life to try and sock away enough to live a humble but secure retirement, working 6 to 7 days a week always and was not a wealthy man even remotely. He died of cancer in his early/mid sixties and never got to have even a day of retirement.

That is one of the reasons my wife and I always travelled, drank the good wine and whisky, ate the good food, etc etc. Don't get me wrong we were never irresponsible but we were never worried about saving and saving. My thought was more of one where I would do those things I wanted too while we were still young enough to enjoy them and when the day came to retire, we can say we already did all that and focus on living a nice quiet life with family and our hobbies etc and not need all the extra money to do the things we have already done.

My dad always used to tell my mom that he thought we were being impulsive and irresponsible, but my mom told me after my dad passed that near the end he confided in her that maybe it was us who did it right and he made the mistake trying to be overly responsible. I don't think there is a right or wrong to be honest, but I certainly have no regrets.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23