View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Unions Are Outdated - I'll buy Co-Op Gas Today!

Unions had a time and place when labor laws, workmen's comp and OH&S rules were weak or non-existent; they did a good job advocating for workers rights where none existed. Some of what we benefit from today spurned from lobbying they did to governments at all levels. Now fast forward to present times and I would believe the publics attitude towards them has waned greatly. I grew up in a heavily unionized family of auto workers. My father was a president of a local for many years and I can remember picket lines, threating phone calls to the house, all the melodramatic stuff you see on TV; it happens! The ironic part is he eventually took a seat with management shedding his union cloak after he seen a culture change from unions advocating for workers rights to protecting slugs who should be fired for sub-standard performance. Even though this is 50 years ago, I can remember when this event happened in his life. It's been said earlier, I don't think todays public has much sympathy for folks with good, stable jobs wanting more when they're listening to adds driving to the food bank.
Anyone know if there's a trend showing if more unions are being formed or being collapsed in this day and age?