View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
The Dog might alert you,but dog or not,if a bear has made his decision to attack,he will attack.The Toughest dog in the world wont save you.
It has nothing to do with the dog being tough. The only time my dog is tied up is at night.....and it's within a few metres of the tent. It will alert me if there is a bear present far sooner than it coming through my tent. I have only had two trips into the McKenzie Mts. in the last 8yrs where we did not have a grizz show up in camp and we saw two on one of these trips.

SH mentioned that his dog will not bark if it sees a bear....Mine will. We got her already exposed and trained out of Alaska. When I'm awake she will alert me by "hoofing"....very similar to a bear. If I am sleeping she will wake me with a bark that would wake the dead......it is hair raising. She goes freakin' nutz.

A bear is trying to sneak or "stalk" its way into camp. It in no way wants its presence announced. I have never had any issues or been put at what I would consider a risk in dealing with any of the encounters I've had with bears due solely to the early detection by my dog.

tm

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 01-08-2011 at 04:27 PM.