View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM

getting a bow for both hunting and target is kind of lke trying to get a vehicle that is good for street racing and 4x4 ing....

The charactaristics of the bows are a bit different.

ATA: longer is better for target more accurate, shorter is better for hunting as it is more convenient.

Speed: Fast is better for hunting, slower is better for target, but not too slow either

Brace height: again see above for speed!... long is more forgiving for target and short is faster!.....

Now we have that in the mix with the fact you are still growing. Mathews and Hoyt you have to change cams as drawlength changes and makes major changes for charactaristics.

I would look at a bow with a modular system. You identify that you like lower draw weight and 40 is minimum for hunting.

As a coach familiar with the coach of the junior program at Sherwood i would say talk to her as she can help you.

What you have to decide is what is most important to you. Target or hunting!.... A hunting bow will work for target but not be ideal. A target bow will work for hunting but will not be ideal!....

Also what kind of target are you talking about, Indoor, or Outdoor, paper or 3D?....

here is what I am doing!.... Mathews Outback for Hunting, Bowtech Guardian for 3D, and Bowtech Commander for Target. The guardian works for all three as well but I got the commander because it is a littlke less speed and longer ATA for Target specifically Outdoor Fita where 90m is far distance but all match play is at 70m.

I can help you out but I need to know some more specifics. that I have asked.... and tried to explain why!...