View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 03:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I've had the best fur luck so far with a 17 hornet and a 20 gr bullet. Verified one shot kill at 297 yards. (checked with a rangefinder). There's one very tiny pin hole going in, and no exit. I've shot coyotes at 50 yards up to just a hair under 300. All were one shot kills. No sewing up damage, no mess. The entry hole won't even fit the whole tip of a pen.

So, if you're looking at a different rifle, or a rifle to trade for, I'd look at a 17 hornet or a 17 remington.
I can see your combo working well for minimum damage. Relating to my post above ,I also have used my 22-250 with 52 sierra matchkings @ 3765 fps & crazy accurate-- I think it's a great coyote round, but it has sat in the safe for the last 2 seasons-- not cause I don't like it - but hunting on the southern Alberta prairies - there is almost always wind. I consistently grab my .243's with the heavy high BC. bullets mainly because it drifts about 8 to 10" less at 400yds. than my 22-250, and by 250yds. those heavier slugs are already surpassing my 22-250 in speed as well due to superior BC. & profile. So from 250 yds. on out to where ever a yote decides to hang up -- especially in the wind -- the .243 is my champ. Theres also tons of energy to anchor a dog as well -- around 950 ft. lbs. still at 500 yds. where my .22 centerfires are getting iffy -- pertaining to runners.