View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 PM

Default An old dilemma, the everlasting hunt for a canoe...and..the sharing economy???

Well, once more dear friends, we enter the breach.

Every year I try to make it out to Maligne Lake. Most often, I do a day trip. Been wanting to do a multi day excursion for a few years now. Got lucky yesterday with 4 total nights at Fisherman's and Coronet.

Anyways, the same old, same old; where the heck can I guy get a canoe? Curries doesn't rent freighters anymore, neither does Source for Sports, neither does Online. Joe and Martha tourist prefer the plain generic canoes in the 12 foot to 15 foot range. Absolutely inadequate for Maligne, but no one rents the big freighters anymore. Too specialized, not enough demand. Source for Sports finally gave it up after too much complaining; a high maintenance part of the business. (I don't blame them). And the Malgine Tours boathouse? Yeah, rowboats, and some (1 or 2) dusty, creaky, 16 foot canoes (not sure they have them back). Didn't like them one bit.

So...shot in the dark? I am fed up with this annual ritual of hunting down a suitable rental (NO one, I mean no one rents 18 foot+ freighter canoes. Don't bother with "Have you tried..." unless something has drastically changed...I have phoned them ALL).

So...how about a different approach? In the 21st century, more and more people turning towards a sharing economy.

So is there anyone out there, like me, likes to fish Maligne and perhaps a few other places, but cannot justify the expense of purchasing a canoe essentially for a single purpose? I got a nice little pram for flyfishing lakes around Edmonton. Dad's got a nice lund for pike and walleye. And neither are suitable for Maligne. If only Maligne allowed gas... (i know, I know).

I have no real purpose to buy a 18-19-20 foot freighter canoe. Except for Maligne lake.

So anyone in the same boat?

Shot in the dark...would anyone like to share a freighter canoe with me? Go in for halves or thirds or quarters? Yeah, sharing can have some issues, but I would only need the canoe once, perhaps twice a year. I can't justify dropping $5K on a Scott freighter or some beautiful cedar strip for a once per year trip.

Any takers? I have the motor and batteries already. I can probably figure out a winter storage solution. Just need the canoe and a trailer.

I have seen some used ones on Kijiji for about $2000. Still. Don't want to buy a once-per-year boat unless someone else is keen also.

21st century folks! Time for some sharing!

Let me know; pm me!

Serious inquiries please. I am ready to do this, we can make it work.

Mike Smith
"Smitty"