View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 04:32 PM

Default I have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
smitty9, have you thought about building your own freighter? This wouldn't help you this year, but it would be a great winter project. I built mine specifically for Maligne, and this will be it's 26th season on the lake. Unfortunately, I do not lend it out anymore, and I've got some repairs to do on it in the next 3 weeks before opening day. It's a Grand Laker, and I learned how to build it from a book called "Canoecraft", but got the plans from another book called "Building a Cedar Strip Canoe". 19.5 feet, 48" beam, and 18" deep. It can carry 3 people plus gear just fine. I've used the big Scott canoes for guiding - those things are huge, and can carry almost twice the gear that mine can.
Big Bull - great suggestion, I have for years thought about this. What's stopping me is that as a teacher and self employed entrepreneur, I haven't a lot of hours in the winter. Nor, sadly, lol, am I very talented when it comes to tools and woodworking. I have thought long and hard about the kits sold at Boatcraft and having someone build one for me. Yes...I am very tempted.

I was actually googling around 4 days ago and found this site:

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_wood_boats.html

Started thinking...I don't have to be "locked" or obsessed over a canoe. Lots of dory and panga type boat plans look very intriguing. Just need that special boat that can handle a lot of weight and can b e pushed easily with a big electric.

How long does it take to build a canoe like this? A few months, 40 to 60 hours? Then some waiting periods while you wait for different stages and layers curing?

Hey great looking boats there Catnthehat! Thanks for the link!

Mike