View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I think you have been given some bad info or are assuming your own erroneous information.

Barnes 130 grain TSX load data is 3600-3700 feet per second in my manual. Not 3900.

At that velocity you have a workable shooting range of out to 625 yards as they need to have 2000 fps to reliably expand.

Even if the velocity safely got up to 3900, your workable range would stretch out to about 685 yards.

There is also no such thing as a 139 grain TTSX from Barnes so something is amiss there too. Even if you did have a box of that ammo, there is zero guarantee that it would shoot safely in a different rifle.

That being said, if you want to shoot long range with a RUM I would be shooting bigger bullets with higher BC's. Look into the ELD-X bullets for instance. Maybe 208, 212 or 220 grain bullets.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/lrx/

I do not understand why folks like weight for rifles and archery. remember E=velocity squared times mass.

I still have boxes of TTSX Barnes bullets in 139. My experience has killed deer out to 930 yards (=- 5yrds) and bear to 425. All of them just dropped nary a twitch. I did try 168 Bergers originally, then 220 Berger. At 100 yards they were all over the place and the 220 were even worse.
I was at Marksman in Lethbridge picking up powder. we discussed my dilemma and sold me a box of TTSX 139. After some adjustments started to nail drive out to 300 yards bench of course.