Thread: Worst trip ever
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 02:59 AM

One tip I’ll offer is to be cautious of staying in a vehicle, especially when stuck in snow or drifting snow. Or anytime really. Is to keep a window cracked, and if possible, keep the undercarriage clear of snow. Bring a good shovel, or better, bring 2. The difference between a small, cheap shovel, and a large sturdy one is night and day when your depending on them. And they like to break when you need them most, lol.
Another good one is chains and slings. I learned a good ‘tool’ to use, which is 3-4 pieces of thicker rebar, about 2 feet long. A chain about 6-8 feet long with links big enough to slip over the rebar. If your stuck and have nothing to winch/hoist from, you drive the rebar in the ground in a line, about a foot between each rebar. Slip the chain over them and hook to it. Lift the hood when winching or pulling to save your face (literally) from a snapped line.
On ice, drill 2 holes a couple feet apart, ahead of yourself and chain, or preferably sling a line between the 2 and attach your winch/hoist line to it. Rinse and repeat if needed.
Both have saved me or someone numerous times. I even bring the rebar/chain with me on the quad when out in the Bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk