View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
Logging is political. For the sale of a few thousand jobs forests as large as some European nations would be clear cut, at least here in Ontario.
Alternatives are there such as Hemp. I am no Hippy but rather an ex soldier so I am a bit right leaning. Nevertheless when it comes to endangering the boat we all live on I will not support any party or group who is intent or destroying this for the benefit of a very few for a very short time.
Hemp uses 90% fewer resources to grow and harvest and therefore fewer people and companies are required to get involved and earn money from it. But it would help our society and environment. Logging trees at the rate we do is no longer necessary.

Advocating for the continued large scale logging of trees is like advocating we continue harvesting whales for heating oil and women's corsets.
It is all political in a sense. I can see what you are saying. I have seen huge change in my lifetime and I have children that I worry about their future. The reality is that we have the technology and alternatives that could be employed to replace fossil fuels. Pipe dream. The world is run by fossil fuels. Take them out of the equation? Think about the ramifications. Same with lumber. Sure. But it just doesn't work. Lots of things would be nice. I'm not down on the lumber industry, but it could be done in a better way. Should be. Oil and gas are obvious to everyone. Logging, 99% of the public has never even seen a cutblock. It does come down to different company practises too. Some do better reclamation than others on their own. The govt. several years ago stepped back from oil and gas and went to a more self-regulated approach. The world did not end and the environment from it is in most cases supporting more wildlife now than it did. Self-reg for the lumber industry has not worked as well. We need resources. Come up with a plan that is viable and sustainable and in time it might come to be. Who knows, it may have to.