Thread: Cz 858
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 AM

Here’s my two cents.

1. El torro is on target. “Assault rifle” is a mainstream media anti-firearms misnomer used to muddy the waters on the subject of semi-automatic rifles. Fully automatic or select fire rifles are the only rifles correctly described as “assault” type rifles. Using that term infers that it’s a scary rifle that is only meant for “mowing down” people. Also, the use of that term smacks of elitism, in that only bolt action rifles are “legitimate” for the public to own.

2. AB Boy is correct. Owners of 12.6 class pistols and revolvers are still being issued ATT’s. I see guys who are grandfathered to use them regularly on the CDTSA range for steel challenge matches. Owners of 12.5 to 12.2 are SOL. The RCMP began summarily refusing to issue ATT’s for those classes a few years ago. So current owners can posses them, but cannot legally transport them to any range.

3. Rosh, you will have trouble finding soft-point ammo for 7.62x39, as the US state department will not allow export of that caliber of ammo. (See ITAR) Also I suggest that you might want to consider a “right tool for the job” vein of thought. Don’t get me wrong. The Cz 858 is a fun rifle. I personally like the 7.62x39mm, and have two rifles in that caliber, but do not use them for hunting deer, just for service rifle shoots. You would better off with a bolt-action rifle like a .270 Winchester, or .30-06 Springfield as an introductory hunting caliber.

4. Again Rosh, for hunting you can do a lot better for a similar amount of money. If you are on a budget I would suggest one of the introductory type Savage rifle “package” deals that include a basic scope & rings/bases, which could later on be swap out to a better quality scope & mounts when you can afford it. The actions on the Savage’s are not butter-knife smooth, but are exceptionally accurate for the price. If you have more wiggle room in the budget I would suggest, either firstly a Tikka and or secondly a Ruger. The Tikka is a great rifle, is very accurate, and it going to set you back $1300 or more depending on the optics and mounts you use. The Ruger is reliable, fairly accurate, includes mounts, and will run you around $1000 with a decent scope.

5. Cat is also correct. If you are looking for bear defense, a decent 12 gauge without a pistol grip, with a 18.5” barrel would be your best bet.

Last edited by Chinchaga Hermit; 08-29-2010 at 02:03 AM.