View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 10:46 PM

Well what I did so far is read a bunch of books and educated myself. I've read "The Intelligent Investor", "Security Analysis", "One Up on WallStreet", "Rich Dad Poor Dad", "The Total Money Makeover", and "The Wealthy Barber", along with articles, letters, and podcasts.

First I've started my own business to hopefully improve my income. It's been taxing with Covid, but I'm still optimistic.

Second, I had the pension from my old job paid out and am managing it myself. I currently own 3 stock that I can follow and I feel are good bets at this point. VZ, CVX, and TRP.TO

I did have JPM and XOM but have sold them. If you want to trade US stock I highly recommend a RRSP as their dividends arent taxed in a RRSP account. A TFSA is a great place to put Canadian Dividend payers, and high growth stock. I plan to switch over my TRP.TO once I have enough cash to fund the TFSA. It wasnt possible this year as I use my TFSA as a emergency fund as well and due to covid and the lack of demand had to use it.

Lastly we rent. For us the cost of renting is cheaper at the moment then buying. With the mortgage cost, maintenance, insurance, and property tax in town it doesnt seem worth it. My plan is to buy a quarter section to run cattle on through my company, then subdivide a small acreage as our personal residence off that quarter. We'll see if we get to that point, but I'm hopeful.

Other then that I.dont invest in things that are based on speculation. So I dont invest in Bitcoin, or venture companies that havent made money. I might miss out on some huge gains once in awhile, but I sleep a lot better knowing I shouldn't lose a lot of money either. The one thing with investing is you only need to be right a handful of times to really make a huge dent in your portfolio so why swing for the maybes?

Lastly if your not educated and willing to do the work. I highly suggest you dont trade individual stocks. Instead buy the US Stock Index and just be consistent in buying it. Most advisors can't beat the index. You can look up Jack Bogle on this one. Theres forums and facebook groups for like minded people called Bogleheads.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill