View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 04:11 PM

^ This. Not just a fawn distress call, but any peep, really. I had mulies running in when calling coyotes with rabbit distress. I had them come in with a cow elk call. They will come to check it out more often than not. They are also pretty curious critters. If they saw/heard you coming in but feel safe enough, they will often move in to check it out. It might take time, but they will. Whitetails will sometimes do the same, but not nearly as often. A couple of weeks ago, I got a mulie buck to move in to 10 meters from me just by standing behind the bale with my head sticking out and him looking straight at me. Took about 20 minutes and he bailed 3 or 4 times (to 30-50 meter marks), but came back every time, 10 meter was the closest and he would probably come closer, but I got tired of it and walked away. When the buck lost interest, I would just move my foot a tiny bit, enough to make a very slight noise (really easy with dry grass) to get him back at it (they will bail if you over do it). I did that numerous times, even in bad wind.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just about sunset, they can't really see squat and if the wind is good, it is easy to move in close enough.

Of course, if there is lots of hunting pressure in the area, it is not quite as simple and quite often you would see them running when they hear you coming hundred yards away. In that case, see where they come in to the property. They will take the same route in and out more often than not. And they will usually do it at the exact same time, like on the clock adjusted for sun movement. They will start feeding in the more or less same spot more often than not as well.

Very often, I would just go and stand behind a bale watching the deer in the field. It's a lot of fun.

P.S. Not calling the fish cops for no reason is key