View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubz337 View Post
Good job being pedantic. I don't know how physically disabled you are that putting in earplugs takes you that long. I can do it with my offhand while still looking down the scope. If you're staring down openings in cover, you could already have them in. There's this crazy thing called 'intuition', if i see an animal and am putting on a stalk i can reasonably guess I'm going to be taking a shot and put the earplugs in beforehand. If its a quick encounter I don't mind risking the 1 or 2 seconds it takes to put them in before a
shot. If it costs me, oh well, no the end of the world, means I get to keep hunting. But you have fun being that guy nobody likes who always has to say 'WHAT' to everything in twenty years.
I have been hunting for over 50 years, I retired after 35 years in industry, with better than normal hearing for my age. I have been in many situations over the years where I had 2-3 seconds to aim and shoot, so even 2 seconds would have cost me a shot opportunity. Situations like an elk suddely crossing a cutline, or passing through an opening in the timber . In many cases, I heard the animal before seeing them, or I probably wouldn't have seen them at all. In other situations I had 5-6 seconds, but I used a few seconds to range the animal, because it was at longer range, and I wouldn't guess when shooting that far. I have harvested well over 100 big game animals , and there were situations where I had
plenty of time, but there were others where I didn't.