View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Miette River, Jasper National Park

Went up to Jasper National Park for a night this passing weekend. Dropped the gf off in town to do some shopping and I went over to the Miette River to catch some nice little brook trout.

First I tried where the Miette enters the Athabasca. Caught a little brookie on a yellow foam hopper, and I think I hooked into a grayling maybe, but it slipped off my hook before I could pull him out.

Then I fished right off the 16 just downstream of the bridge. There was a really deep hole with some boulders in it. First cast out a big orange chernobyl ant. Two hits on my first two casts, but the chernobyl was a little too big for the fish to swallow I think, and I pulled it right out of the fish's mouth each time. Tried a few more flies (had lost my yellow hopper by then), but finally, a big black foam ant with lots of wiggly legs did the trick. Pulled out two little brookies in two casts. Told my girl she better keep shopping cause I was catching fish, haha. Casted a bit more and pulled out a nice little eight incher.

This is Miette River where it meets the Athabasca. The Miette is green and the Athabasca is silvery white from silt. The two dont mix and the sinuouy line stretches out for a mile...

Last edited by FishlessFool; 09-05-2011 at 08:16 PM.