View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Banned

There's some really good info here. I enjoyed reading this thread.

A good friend of mine and I always banter back and forth on this subject, he's a .300WIN guy, I'm a 7MM Rem Mag guy.

I think I would agree that for real long range shooting, especially if the target is Elk, the .300 has the edge.

For everything else, I'll take the 7MM hands down. My reasons -

The 7MM has far less recoil. That may be perception or due to the rifles themselves, but I have never enjoyed firing a .300WIN. I actually think that most people, likely myself included, are not good enough marksmen to accurately shoot this caliber. The combination of the recoil and the over-confidence it seems to give people have resulted in a few misses or wounded animals in my experience.

I really like how fast and flat the 7MM is. I realize the same can be said of the .300WIN depending on the ammunition, so it's more a comparison to the other calibres out there.

The biggest one for me, and it was touched on here, is that to my mind, the .300WIN is simply overkill for the majority of hunting that I do. I rarely shoot over 200 yds, with most deer being in the 100-150 yd range. When I am taking those long shots, out to 300yds or so, it's generally on an Antelope. In my experience, the .300WIN at close ranges just does way too much damage to the animal. Even the 7MM is overkill for the most part, but IMHO, a better compromise.

So, I'm biased, but I would recommend the 7MM Rem Mag. Just about everyone I hunt with uses this caliber, so it's proven itself to me. Excellent quality factory ammunition is also readily available for it, and at a reasonable price.

Great discussion so far.

Waxy