View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Ive caught pike on all of it, buy I really like the herring. The big eye is a huge turn on, and they are a great whitefish immitation. But there is one downside to them, they are shaped like a whitefish, deep and thin. I use tandem trebles, one at the extreme end of the tail with two hooks burried, and the other at the head with either one or two hooks {depending on wind} hooked under gill plate and bottom jaw area, on the opposite side of the bait from the other treble. Even rigged in this way, ive found, it can be tough to get iron into them on quick strikes. It seems these deeper bodied baits dont like to crush as easily, allowing the hooks to get exposed and get it done. Its kind of a give take i guess, a great immitation style bait with a big eye, but tough to get the iron at em during hook set. I also like the fact that they have those large reflective mirrors for scales, like a whitefish again for sure. Any little breeze and my traps are giving just enough movement to flash any available light down there. They are just a solid, dead presentation, and pretty tough to beat.....Unless your a smelt.
All in all though, i dont really think it matters, hang the steak over the right water, and there aint too many sharks gonna be saying no.

keep a strain on er.

Last edited by packhuntr; 01-23-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: losing my marbles.