View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 AM

Default My frustrating day of shipping a rifle with DHL

Well last week on Monday I had to head out to BC. So I thought I would ship out the rifle i sold to a very nice individual who bought it in Thunder Bay Ontario. We talked and decide to go with DHL. Since the postal strike had been going on for awhile. Anyways I went to the DHL on 109st-184ave with the rifle packed ready to go. My first mistake was telling them it was a firearm.

The guy goes in the back to talk to the manager, I'm the only person there. He comes out and says " we can't ship it, you don't have the proper paperwork to ship it." My response. " What paperwork?" His response. " Paperwork from the government that says you can ship the gun." My response. " I've already talked to the CFO and they have approved the transfer. Secondly i don't need paperwork to ship a firearm, and thirdly how am I going to get the paperwork when there is a strike?" His response " I guess you're out of luck. There is a canandian soildier in jail right now because he tried to mail a gun back from Afghanistan. That's why you can't ship the gun." I said " he's in jail cause he tried to ship a prohibited firearm that isn't a prohibited weapon." He says' You can't ship the gun." I said "you guys are a bunch of primitive screwheads!" and left.

I called the guy in Thunder Bay and explained what had happened and he was shocked. He used to work for Ducks Unlimited. He said wait a few minutes he would make some phone calls and get back to me.

Forty minutes later. He calls back and sure enough DHL does ship firearms they just need a copy of the guns registration and your PAL. AAARGH! Theysaid if I had any problems just have the person call the manager at logistics. I was fuming. I head back for round 2.

Back to DHL walk through the door. Loong line up there's my nemesis. Primitive screw-head. I get to the front of the line. He says " What are you doing here?!" I say " I want to ship this rifle and i have the registration right here and my Possession and acquisition license right here and if you have a problem with it you can call this person at this number as you don't seem to know DHL policy." He takes my Pal and registration and refuses the number and says wait here and dissappears into the back. He's gone for 10 minutes. Comes back out with the photocopy of the registration and Pal and begins the paperwork for the delivery.

As this is taking place out come his supervisor to question me. " Does the rifle have a firing pin? " My response" Yes of course the rifle has a firing pin. What good is it if it doesn't have a firing pin? Do you mean is it in the rifle? then no the bolt has been taken out and is wrapped up and packed in the box." Then he asks " Is there bullets with the rifle? I stare at him and shake my head " No there aren't any bullets with the rifle because that would be illegal." The wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead. Where do they find these people.

After all this is done it comes to 48.83 cause there is a security charge as they have to lock it up in a special cage. The rifle is suppose to be there on Wednesday. It got there on Friday. So much for 2 day delivery. Never again. I think I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork. I ended up leaving for BC at 8:00pm that night because of this hassle. Stress I could have done without.

SycoSean