Thread: Travers Closure
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I read these posts and must say that it makes me sick, I have pictures of more then enough of you fishing the river opening day and hammering fish...
so much for protecting our spawning fish.
So to come on here and say that it is wrong, it starts with you. Wether the river is closed or not if you are such a supported of saving our fish then i ask, why are you fishing in the river?

In Feb & March when these said fish are heading up the river to spawn, the same guys are sitting in there ice shacks and hammering these fish once again...

Sorry guys I have to say that I dissagree on this one....

The river is closing and the dissagreement has to do with 100 yards of river.
Its been a long time since ive been up the Arm to fish , im guessing 9 years. I can actually confirm the date if i go thru my yearly diaries of Travers. Its possibly longer for the last time I set up icefishing in the Arm. Im not doubting you have pics of many people fishing inside the area west of the boat launch. But if there is guys posting in this thread that are willing to change their tactics....even for the reason that SRD has said the last test net was NOT good, isnt that a educated conservation change in ethics for the better? This is a movement that should be applauded. Im worried more about the fisherman that have fished the Arm and even though SRD has said a problem exists continue to insist they should be allowed to still fish for spawning fish.
I understand your passion for leaving the dock area open for the kids and I respect that. The real fear when i attended the meeting is that this reg change discussion would actually increase the walleyes problem. It was kinda a no win situation. It was and is a discussion that needs to be publically debated but with public debate comes more pressure for the ARM. Many people just know its a good place to catch early season walleye now many more know because of the debate that must happen for all to be heard.
You heard my views at the meeting and i still stand by what i know from my years on Travers. Where i want the boundary markers will never happen thats plain and simple.
What im asking is that we make a true conservation effort to protect spawning fish, not just a half hearted effort that will be reviewed again in 7 years.....in 7 years if its all over but the crying..should we have done more? Isnt it easier in 7 years to say the closure has been a total sucess and we need to review new boundaries to allow a greater harvest?
Ive said this before what surprizes me greatly is what SRD is seems to not know, and if they are now in a position to want reg changes...how bad is it really?
Just so you and everyone can flame me.....i want the boundary to cross from Pelican point to the deep coulee in Ling bay. This area is where the water temps stabilize and fish find comfort there to pre and post spawn. This area also contains water deeper than 30 feet and during bad weather the eyes seek its comfort and im especially against the fishing of eyes in this situation.

Most importantly i applaud anyone who is willing to change their tactics for the betterment of any fish regardless of what, where or how they fished before. The reason isnt even important..it may be what SRD has said or other fisherman have said.
If i could suggest a way to accomodate shore fisherman and families i would be standing on a soap box screaming it at the top of my lungs. Sadly i cant. It will break my heart to hear from one sad kid who is bummed he cant fish during the closure. It will break my heart twice over to explain to the same kid why Travers is a long lost memory like other lakes we have lost.