Thread: Elk Bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 07:52 AM

For what it's worth, you'll generally want to keep your bullet velocity over 1800fps for this to work well.

"Bullets, not headstamps, blah blah blah" etc being what it is, ELDX, ELDM, TMK, etc have an optimum velocity window. Keep your projectile in that window, and you'll be good to go. Your 30-06 will work splendidly for this job.

Also, for what it's worth, MPBR, "Holding hide", whatever, generally always comes up short against dialing when you're shooting long range. Yes, 350m is a long shot, especially when you've just climbed a coulee, and the adrenaline is flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
This year I am very interested in trying the 200 gr eldx on elk out of the 30-06. Mv is 2450fps. Traditionally i shoot hard cast 405s in the 45-70 with tremendous success but i have some new areas that I wish to hunt that could offer up to 350 maybe even 400 yd opportunities. Currently 120yds is a long poke where I hunt elk. Ultimately I am a big bullet going modest vel on elk and would love a 9.3, 338, 375 etc but this year will have to stick with what i got... most of the elk I shoot are under 60 yds so im interested how this heavy bullet driven fairly slow will behave.. set up with mpbr this combo is hold on hide to 350yds...well hold on spine at 350.... i have some leg bones and shoulders from last years bull so im planning to test them at closer range on the big bones.. will be interesting anyways.. I hope a 9.3x62 is in the cards down the road lol....