View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
It used to be 12 mile limit for whole world? Example military. When has this changed?
And so I have a large commercial ship. With a flick of a switch I can change from the clean expensive tank of fuel to the dirty cheap tanks of fuel. How can they catch me? Haha you think Liberia or whatever flag of convenience I'm registered with for home base is going to somehow care or try to monitor me?
Plus everything is in international waters so nobody has jurisdiction.
First off out to 200 miles isn't international waters, those would be domestic waters in Canada, Europe or pretty much anywhere in the world - they refer to it as the Exclusive Economic Zone.
https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/facts/useez.html
Believe me it's monitored...
Absolutely mind boggling what satellites and aerial surveillance can do now a days, as well as port state control inspections, quality surveyors, class inspections, flag inspections and all of the other stuff that folks in the marine industry get to enjoy dealing with.
The surveillance is impressive and the fines are as well.
When you have a ship that generates 50 or 60,000 dollars a day in charter hire and carries half a billion dollars worth of cargo, the owners do not dare to take chances f'ing around with it.
Screw this up and have the ship arrested alongside for a couple of weeks, or banned from US, Canadian or European waters, or blacklisted by charterers makes trying to play it smart and save $25,000 in fuel costs by rolling over from HFO late start to look pretty dumb.
This isn't about environmental awareness it's about money...
That and the criminal side as well - the DPA (designated person ashore) as well as the Master and Chief Engineer being charged criminally is a pretty strong disincentive to cheat - It's not like gun crime in Canada - screw this up and you actually go to jail.

Last edited by Sundog57; 03-28-2024 at 12:03 PM.