Thread: Big game hides
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
Wow great discussion thanks
I’ve tanned a couple hides, lots of lost/learning projects. Dealing with lack of available time on elk and deer has lost me some hides, trying to time soaking times when I can’t be around to monitor and get it to its next step. Get it in a solution thinking “work won’t go long today, I’ll be back in time this evening…”
I’ve done a few deer leather tanned in diexertan paste which turned out amazing and soft. More of a soup, soak a bit, wring out, re soak, repeat multiple times, then broke and stretched over 3/8 cable
I’ve had my beaver finally start coming out pretty near commercial grade, thinned with orbital sander, luftan kit, and run over 3/8 cable. Use a high quality leather conditioner at the breaking stage.
Working on a bear I’ve salted, thinning with wire wheel, then buffing smooth with sander….seems to be working nice. But again available time and space issue…I started that two years ago and only got it half done. It’s waiting for life to slow down again (that’s a good joke!)
Still have a freezer full of project hides…

What have people found for tanning thicker hides? I’ve lost three elk hides at the tanning stage because the tan didn’t penetrate deep enough soon enough. One just a vinegar pickle, one a luftan kit…can’t remember the third. So salt and then thin first? then tan process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is diexertan