View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 07:17 PM

I don't even want to think about it ....

Even if you just looked at my Laker/Salmon/Rainbow trolling gear, it's probably a few thousand alone.

Dozens of dipsys, jets, flashers, fenders, snubbers, releases, stackers, terminal tackle ......... never mind the lures themselves. I have 2 bigger tackle bags that are my trolling bags and a milk crate of trays to hold more spoons and lures.

Then add in all the other species, and all the bags and crates, and it gets pretty sobering.

Then a turning point in my tackle junkie life ....

2 years ago - a friend was over and I was giving him some spare hummingbird cables I had purchased and didn't end up using that were still in the bag "somewhere" on my garage shelf.

Searching through white bag after white bag of brand new unopened unused tackle, putting stuff into a milk crate and by the time we found them, I had a full milk crate at my feet of small bags of terminal tackle, lures and other stuff "still in the package". Each one of those bags probably had $40-$100 worth of stuff in it.

Looked at the shelf and there was still at least that many more little white bags on the shelf remaining there.

Although we joked about it, it was a sobering moment for me ..... I always laughed at the lady collecting shoes, and there I was, staring a few thousands of dollars of stuff in those bags and the other "used once" tackle trays on my garage shelf.

When I final;y sorted it all - I had a shoe sized box overflowing of brand new treble and single hooks, most of them Gamy's, Owners or other expensive hooks.

I was embarrassed.

I sent him home with 2 tackle bags and a bunch of brand new stuff and kept giving stuff away to others ever since ..........

Also gave away over 40 rods and reels over the last 2 years.

I'm probably down to 20-25 rods and and say, 40-50 tackle trays - which is still too much.

I Probably gave away TWICE that.

It was my vice.

I'd go into the Fishin' hole to buy down rigger plastic stops for $5/pack and walk out with $100-$150 worth of stuff - every single time.

I think I'm mostly better now ...... and have resisted being so wasteful ..... but at least all my friends are happy with all their new gear !!!!