View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 01:25 PM

There are many "accidents" that take place during to loading and unloading of guns. I would bet money it is the most common instance of accidental discharge. It is also common for people to be shot with a presumed unloaded firearm.

The only accidental discharges I have ever witnessed was when slamming shut a break action shotgun.

Where exactly are the barrels pointing when a break action is closed. It can't be up because the shells would fall out and it would be just as unlikely that it be pointed straight down as one would have to be lifting the butt stock into an awkward position to achieve this.

I am not saying people that carry an open shotgun are pointing it at other hunters. I am suggesting that the barrel is slightly below horizontal and hopefully pointed down range. The problem I have is that my dogs are generally down range. Add to this an excited hunter, and this could be dangerous IMO.

Anyway, safety on, gun loaded and barrels up or you can find someone else's dogs to hunt over. Right wrong or indifferent, thems the rules.

People might also want to consider the amount of dust ect., that enters via an opened action and the undo wear to the pins with the action not being locked up when walking.

If I am with another hunter and we are walking together, I unload and take up the rear. I make no attempt to load and fire if buddy misses. I will not walk with another person behind me with a loaded rifle or shotgun.

I deer hunt alone and have one in the chamber with safety on. I hunt in the bush and racking a round is just not an option. I like very close quarters where raising the rifle takes care and extreme quiet. I have had them hear the safety.