View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 AM

ATTACH]138148[/ATTACH]
Just trying this picture thing out
Arrowed this antelope with my wife's home made decoy

After several years of waiting I decided to pull the archery tag (not getting any younger). I hadn't hunted with my bow for quite a few years so I was quite nervous about going out. My wife had me cut out a form for the decoy and then she painted it.

1st attempt didn't look good, I was able to only get within 400 yards of a small buck. Thought I would try anyway, I set up the decoy and fiddled around getting it to stand properly. After getting it set up I checked to see if the buck was looking and to my surprise I saw a cloud of dust moving quickly my way. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to knock an arrow and get into position. I took a quick look over top of the decoy and there he was! I sailed an arrow right over his back (so my bowhunting technique wasn't much different after all these years!).

2nd attempt day 2, I ended up travelling down a gravel trail and noticed some antelope feeding along the edge. I thought I could get close to these ones. I didn't have much time the wind was starting to pick up and I knew that the decoy wouldn't stand up very well.
I was also worried about parking my truck with all the dry weather, there was the fire potential in the area. fortunately for me there was a large fire weeks before and I was able to park my truck in completely burned out grass. I snuck up to the herd from the downwind side from about a 1/4 mile out. I got within 100 yards a lot closer than the previous antelope. I sat up the decoy but the wind get trying to blow it over. I finally staked it down in some softer ground. This antelope was much more relaxed and started sauntering towards the decoy. He got within 40 yards, and I got all goofy again. I grabbed my bow with one hand and tried to hold the decoy from blowing over with the other. The wind calmed down for a second and I drew back and sent the arrow on its way. End of story.

Like everyone says on this site, "it's one of the funnest hunts that you can do in Southern Alberta"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk