View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have used the Monocular Range finder, CRF 1200. They have great glass, far better than most top end binos. I also have an old set of Ultravids, before the HD or Plus versions came out. The only thing I don't like about Leica is the price. Other than that they are an outstanding piece of glass and workmanship.

I like the Swaro almost as well, and far better than the Zeiss. In fact I would take a set of Monarch 7s, about $600, long before Zeiss and about on par with the Swaro. However, everyone's eyes are different and for some people the Zeiss or Swaro are better. You really have to take them out and try them side by side over a couple of days to truly decide which are the right ones for you. Good sellers like McBains and London drugs will let you bring them back for various periods, so charge the three or four you want to compare to your Visa, try them out, keep the one you like, and bring back the rest. Make sure you tell the store what you plan to do and put it on the bill so there is no hassles later and be very careful to keep them pristine so they have no issues reselling them.

Make sure to take a set of Nikon Monarch 7s along as counterbalance. Many of my friends can see NO difference between Leica HDs and the Monarch 7s so for them spending another $2000 on top is a pure waste of money.

Can't see a difference between an Ultravid and a Monarch 7????

The outer half of the 7's FOV is a mess. I've always recommended avoiding the 7, it has a wide FOV, but it is not well corrected.

Everyone's eyes are different, and some are not sensitive to certain aberrations, but the 7 is full of them.

Army Navy in Whitefish used to be the place to buy Leica, before the dollar capped the bed.

Last edited by sillyak; 08-19-2018 at 06:21 PM.