View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Just to jump back in:

Look, I see where Steelhead and HunterDave are coming from, in terms of a general point of this could be an experiment that goes wrong. Fair enough, but I'd like to see SRD and the angling community risk it.

However, some of my arguments have rested on the premise of the lakes being a big uptapped potential. I still see it that way.

But its clear that there are smarter people than me debating this, and/or clearly have more information (flawed or not). SO I have some questions:

1) Is there a significant probability that the lake levels could be restored/stabilized to increase the productivity of the littoral zone?

2) Would #1 involve alot of arm wrestling with Trans-Alta to help/cooperate? I thought the hydro-generation was slowly being phased out.

3) Yes, I recognize that the lakes' levels are artificially high. But so what? We've already messed with the system, why not optimize it for ecological and angling purposes, if the primary reason for the dams gets eliminated.

4) Could there be a way to improve spawning habitat for cutthroats and rainbows (bulls too, and I assume suckers are doing fine without our help). My experience has shown that, with some elbow grease, the quality of the habitat can be modified. But water temp? Is there anyway to make it more ideal? I am completely ignorant on that specific...

In my idealistic, rose-colored, naive world, I see 2 lakes that could be top AB fishing destinations if managed properly, but I am assuming alot here in terms of those lakes having the necessary raw ingredients to work with. I know that you can certainly make an attempt to have quality fishery without necessarily addressing those questions above, but, I thought I'd ask anyways.

I understand that its not exactly a fair or valid comparison, but as I see it, we need more quality fisheries that are as successful as Bullshead.

Angling is generally popular (despite the overall decrease in license sales), here in AB, flyfishing has been growing, I each year I see more pressure on more fragile watersheds like creeks and streams. Having more stillwater options, both quality and regular meat 'put and take' options, can only be a good thing, if for the single purpose it diverts more pressure to lakes.

And, as pointed out earlier with the SRD pdf's and stocking lists, the bait allowed, 5 fish per day fisheries VASTLY outnumber quality fisheries. I mean seriously, you only a need a couple of hands to count quality fisheries in this province, whereas the classic put and take trout lakes number in the dozens.

Anyways, if someone could shed some light on those questions, I'd be grateful.

Smitty
Point 1 etc.

From what I have heard there is an initiative currently under way that will hopefully result in the water level being stabilized in LKL. If successful, this would likely result in a tripling of productivity due to re-establishment of a productive littoral zone.

Yes there is some negotiating involved. There is business and politics mixed in.

Point 4

There is a proposal in place to create an artificial spawning channel off of Rawson Creek for the Upper Lake. Not sure if one could be constructed off of Kent Creek trip of LKL or what the water temps are there. Smith Dorrien is too cold for spawning any significant numbers of Cutts. Few rainbows ever try.

Bolton is the best bet for cutts and bows spawning as evidenced by them spawning there. I have not done a spawning survey or habitat assessment there so I can't comment but maybe they can do some monifications to the creek to improve spawning success.

Sun